Saturday, April 9, 2011

A PICTURE FROM YOUR FAVORITE NIGHT

I'm taking a break from my all night study session. My boss asked me today if I was doing anything fun tonight. I wanted to respond, "Same thing we do every night Pinky, trying to take over the world," but instead I said "Same thing every night, homework and studying." I am so boring, except for my occasional adventures with Rachelle that almost get me into trouble!
 A PICTURE FROM YOUR FAVORITE NIGHT
 I decide to go for that one time I was in China and I went to a Jay Chou concert. What was that, you don't know who Jay Chou is? Hmm.. don't feel bad, only like 75% of the earth population does! Let me break it down for you: Jay Chou is to Asia, as Justin Timberlake is to the world. He's kind of a big deal. Here he is in all his Asian glory:
He's just my Taiwanese boyfriend, no biggie.
Anyways...My friends Susannah, Molly, Katie, Brianne, and Cara all purchased tickets with me to see this concert in Shanghai. The whole situation was sketchy, we had our foreign coordinator purchase the tix, and then we were to take a 2 hour train ride to Shanghai, and try and figure out the Chinese address to a ticketmaster to pick them up. None of us spoke Mandarin so the chance of us finding the place, actually getting the tickets, finding the stadium, and getting there in time was not looking extremely promising. Nevertheless, we went off on our journey and made some friends along the way. We ended up finally finding the shadiest ticketmaster on the planet and getting our tickets. We found our way to the stadium and even had time to buy glowsticks and light up Hello Kitty and Ultraman magnetic pins to wear (we were sooo Chinese!).  The concert featured four other artists before the main event- Jay! The other people and groups were good but jay was even better, of course. In case you didn't know, Jay can sing, write, direct, act (questionable), dance, play piano, cello, flute, drums, and probably a few other things. He basically does it all, and in style! Jay just recently played Kato in the new movie version of The Green Hornet (I wouldn't recommend it..). So we were all really pumped for the concert, obviously, it was so Chinese of us to get into and participate in the pop culture. Here we are super excited!! (Super attractive faces, huh?)

And here's the stage:
Little did we know that proper Chinese protocol for a concert is to pretend you are extremely bored and rather do anything than watch an amazing performance. We didn't get the memo so we were the ONLY ones standing, dancing, singing, screaming, and being wild. We would dance on the seats and scream out for our beloved Jay Chou and whoever the other people were performing. Apparently, such behavior is actually MORE exciting than the pop stars and people turned around and started the take pictures and video tape the funny American girls. We tried to get them to join in to no avail. When Jay did come on, the crowd decided to stand and very conservatively wave their glow sticks. I was super happy they decided to act like they were still living and could hear the music. It was so much fun and we all lost our voices. Afterward we threw elbows and battled it out for Jay posters and Suz and I got rings with Jay silhouette on them. We're not obsessed or anything, or nor did we have a wall covered in his posters that we dedicated as his shrine...
Here is why Wo ei Zhou Jie Lan. (I love Jay Chou):


I'll never forget the adventure that night, and most definitely the late night train home when I pretended to be pregnant for a seat, not my best moment, I know. I miss China and it's craziness but at least I have pictures to remind me of the good times!




2 comments:

Leece said...

Some people go to China and visit. You went to China and came alive and lived it-I love that! Too bad Jay chose the snake lady instead of the Chinese babes dancing provocatively around him. That might be a deal breaker for you?-oh reptile hater of the universe.

Shelene said...

I should have said that I picked that video purely because of the dancing and singing. It is NOT typical Jay Chou behavior, it's far too promiscuous. He doesn't drink and maintains a clean life and image, that's why we love him! Snake lady is a deal breaker