Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Birthday Triumphs

My birthday was last Monday, and it shares the day with Halloween.I really like Halloween because I enjoy dressing up, but this year my costume idea (pregnant Beyonce) was snuffed out by a previous promise I made to my mom about not dressing up like I was pregnant.
Anyways, I didn't have anything planned for my birthday, other than buying boots, and eating cupcakes and drinking Jamba Juice. Mission accomplished. I went to work and although I was crazy busy, I still managed to laugh my face off. I seriously have the best job with the greatest co-workers. I loved all the birthday wishes and hugs I received!
As I was about to leave work, I got a call from two of my friends, telling me not to eat because they were taking me to dinner. Yay! I don't have to sit on my couch by myself watching my dvr tonight!! A couple friends met at Rice King, you may remember how much I love them from this post. The owner even said, "I know, she likes cashew chicken." Yeah yeah.
Kiera, Michael, and I ran a couple of errands and had some tasty frozen yogurt before we decided to go see a scary movie. I'm all about getting over my irrational fears and phobias so I agreed to see the movie, even if I could potentially pee my pants.

I don't have the best track record with scary movies:

INTERVIEW WITH A VAMPIRE
When I was little, my Mom let us watch Interview With A Vampire. Don't throw my mom under the bus, I'm pretty sure we begged her to watch it, and she had read the book. I don't do well with blood, biting, and veins so I was traumatized for life. Basically this is what I had to do every night for years and years, wrap my neck with a blanket so that I could try to fight off the vampire if they attempted to suck my blood and got their teeth stuck in my blankey.  
PSYCHO
I was definitely old enough to appreciate and notice the cheesiness and "special effects" of this movie. Nevertheless, I had to close my eyes during any scene when a knife or blood was present. And this is how I showered for many years to come..
With my hand covering my throat. Just in case a crazy tried to knife me when I was rinsing my hair. 
Paranoid.

SCREAM
When I was 16 and my aunt was 17 (old enough to get a rated R movie) we decided to rent Scream. Once again, this was foolish on my part being fully aware and still scared of knifes, stabbing, and blood. Even if it is just a movie, I covered my eyes and whimpered through the entire thing. I also slept in my aunt's bed and cried the whole night, because I kept having nightmares about people with knifes. To this day, I get mad anxiety when I see one of those masks. 

Birthday: FRIGHT NIGHT 3D
As if this movie wasn't terrible already, we have to put it in 3D. I realized during the previews that I had made a huge mistake. I was so stressed, I should have taken an entire bottle of Xanax. It didn't help that Michael purposely scared me during one of the previews and I almost experienced a "fade out." My family also refers to this as the possum. As in, "Oops, someone scared Shelene again and she possum-ed." Possuming is when I black out and my body collapses due to being surprised or stressed from a recent scare. My brother use to wait by the door to jump out and scare me just to watch me possum. It's not funny, I promise, don't try it! 
Anyways, Michael scared me and I experienced slight tunnel vision but thankfully came out of it. The first half of the movie was really scary for me and I was on top of my friends, with my feet up, and my coat covering my throat and half my face during most of it. But the second half was a little corny and I managed. 

I was worried that when I drove home and entered my dark house that I would still be scared, but I realized that I was NO longer afraid of vampires! I'm proud to say that a Colin Farrell movie helped me overcome my irrational fear at the age of 24. Maybe being a little stressed out on my birthday was all I needed to check one more phobia off my list. Go me! 



3 comments:

LSWright said...

its all true. haha I remember you always sleeping with your hands covering your neck! haha glad you had a good birthday! Love ya!

Elena said...

Shelene, my dad used to jump around corners and scream "wild coyotes!!!!!!" as he grabbed us. We got used to it as kids and it wasn't scary so he stopped. Then when my sister came down from NAU and dad did it again and she screamed soooooo loud. It was awesome. So don't worry you're not the only wussy adult :)

Leece said...

Okay, this post made me laugh OUT LOUD AGAIN!!!! Oh my little possum girl, you are the bomb-diggity. In case anyone is throwing me under a bus for letting my children watch Interview With a Vampire, I have no memory of this even though my son just slammed me about this 2 days ago. I'm pretty sure I had just had a shock treatment and was still in a fog or something. Your picture of you in the shower is priceless! :D