Saturday, February 12, 2011

Childhood Dreams


I've realized over the years that I'm one of a kind, especially as a kid. I've always had my own way of thinking and doing things, but I think I was a pretty strange child. For example, I used to pretend I was Oprah and interview myself. I could go hours back and forth between being myself and Lady O telling my fake life story to my TV idol. Yeah, I don't think that's normal for a kid. Another thing I struggle with (besides being ridiculously quirky) is wanting to do and be everything. I've had so many failed ambitions in life because I see or hear something and immediately want to do or be that person. So..here are a few examples of what I wanted to be as a kid due to outside appeal. I feel like I have to preface this and say that I was really innocent and naive. I had no idea what these jobs entailed.

Dream #1: Stripper
I think I was in the 1st grade when I overheard my mom talking on the phone about her distant relative or old friend that was a stripper. I HAD to find out what a Stripper was. After my mom hung up, I bolted over to discover what this mystery profession was.
Me: "Mom, what's a stripper?"
Mom: "It's someone that dances and takes their clothes off. They get paid a lot to do it too."
Me: "Hmm...okay! Thanks."
Ironically, the next day or so was "What I want to be when I grow up day." I couldn't wait to share my new dream of being a stripper! I wrote my little sentence or two of how I wanted to be a stripper when I got older and make lots of money. My mom got a phone call. Let me explain why this was appealing:
Stripping was my ideal job because: 1. I loved dancing, 2. I liked not being confined by clothing constantly, and 3. I liked money. How is being a stripper not an ideal job when you love all of those things individually? Collectively, stripping was bomb.     (I now know better and feel sad for strippers) 

Dream #2: Bartender
I don't even need to try and explain this one. Have you ever seen an awesome bartender that can mix up and spin drinks like nobody's business? Well, I did and I had to be one.
                                        <--Check it. Still need further proof?

Dream #3: Rabbi
In Elementary School we had to research jobs that appealed to us. I came upon a rabbi. I'm a fan of fun hats, awesome hair-dos, and a sweet salary. Being a Rabbi is where it was at!

I think that knowing all of this information and learning that I'm going to school to become a teacher is either a relief or concerning to most people. I think I found my niche though. Although I'm basically starting over at BYU and getting my Bachelor's will take forever, I couldn't be more pleased with my decision. I always think of the line in Tommy Boy when Richard tells Tommy, "A lot of people go to college for seven years....they're called doctors." Yeah, it may take me seven years to get my degree but what kid wouldn't want a teacher as crazy as me? Life is good and I can't wait for the future, my dreams are SO much brighter now than in my youth :)

2 comments:

Lynnette said...

Oh Shelene how I love you and your stories! If you ever learn those sweet bartending skills I will...I don't even know. HAHA

Leece said...

I like you just the way you are, but I am glad you turned down the above professions *whew* Luv, Mah