Tuesday, June 5, 2012

To Bangkok and Back

Before I forget and suck even more at keeping up with my blog, here are some highlights from my weekend in Bangkok:

DAY ONE
Saturday 3:30 am
A luxury ( I like to call it luxury so it sounds more posh) van picked us up and took us to Bangkok. 
This isn't my first rodeo, so I know to self medicate to prevent having the worst night of my life.
I slept like a baby. My group did not. 
The van took us to the Floating Markets. Here are some pics:
Basically, you pay $3 to have a boat take you down these canals while merchants grab your boat and try to get you to buy things. It's like bumper cars with little boats, ya gotta keep your hands and feet inside. Exciting, right? I chose to shop/barter after we were on land so I spend my time eating mango sticky rice. 


After we got off the boat, I bartered for most of my souvenirs, got a mini massage from a crazy old lady, and avoided a man holding a giant snake. Good times. 

We then had our driver take us across town and through horrible traffic to the Golden Palace. 
Here are some pics from the Palace: 
 Walkways  and windows around the Emerald Buddha Temple
 Another cool temple
 Beautiful white stupa

After the palace we wandered the streets before heading over to MBK shopping center.
Apparently, they were having some sort of Asian cartoon or comic convention/photo shoot. It was bizarre seeing everyone dressed up and posing outside the mall.
The mall was a little too expensive for our taste but I did indulge in Dairy Queen. 
#blizzardlove

We decided to head to our hostel after that and look for places to eat. It was a chill night and we were asleep in no time.

DAY TWO:
11 am. Most everyone slept in and I played on my laptop until they woke up.
We walked up and down the streets looking for a place to eat and ran into a nice Thai lady that helped us figure out where to go for the day. We took a tuk-tuk (a motorcycle thing on three wheels) to the canal and hopped in a boat. The boat took us around Bangkok via canals and we saw the sites. 
I took dramamine just in case I was going to be on a boat and that sucker rocked me to sleep. 
I was later woken up by a hard rain but it was a nice nap while it lasted. 

The boat let us off so we could go to Wat Pho.
The Thai lady told us that the Wat Pho temple was to Bangkok, as the Statue of Liberty was to the U.S.
So I guess it's kind of a big deal.
Here I am in front of the Giant Reclining Buddha.
It's about 50 feet tall
 And 160 feet long. 
 Here is a golden Buddha shrine in another temple within the Wat Pho. 
Fun fact: The Wat Pho is the birthplace of the Thai Massage. 

After the temple, we climbed into another tuk-tuk and went to China Town.
Not much excitement in China town but I did get a boba drink, and a 90 minute massage (I almost cried during part of it). 
After China Town, we took another tuk-tuk to Coyote for some Mexican food.
Who has two thumbs and no problem spending 400 baht on Mexican food? 
This girl!
Look at us all smashed in there. We also managed to strap down four bags to the back of it.
We are definitely something to see. 


DAY THREE:
We slept in past 9, ate breakfast, got ready, and hung out in the hostel, played pool, ate lunch, and waited until our "bus" was leaving.
And by bus, I mean a van that way too many people squished in. For five hours.
I slept for most of the ride because, again, I accidentally took the drowsy dramamine. Oh well. 

We got in about 9 pm and Tang picked us up and took us to the school.
I wasn't feeling well, but I figured it was the bus ride.
Turns out, Erin and I both got sick, and I have spent the day in bed trying not to puke. 
I guess fun and games comes at a price. 

Until next time, Thailand is awesome!!  





1 comment:

Leece said...

So happy you got to go on this fun and beautiful trip! I loved the pics and the short video down the canals :) Hope you and Erin feel better fast! LOVE YOU!! XOXO